Thursday, June 28, 2012

You want me to eat what? My journey to feeling better takes me to the produce section.


Sure I've heard you health-minded folks talk about kale.  Did I think it would ever wind up in my shopping cart?  Heck no!  But I looked down at my basket today... and there it was.  Kale. 

I'm starting a new journey.  I'm not calling it a diet or a fitness plan.  I just want to feel "good" again.  Tight pants have a way of making a guy really crabby, and I think my co-workers and family members have started to notice my less than passionate disposition.  No energy.  Depressed.  Yeah... I'm feeling it all. 

I watch the replay of our newscast sometimes, and think ... who the heck is that guy... and how did his face get so big?

So it's time.

I debated about whether to blog about this.  If I put it out there, then what if I don't succeed?  What if I fail at this again?  But then I saw this today and I was inspired:

"What would happen if that simple blade of grass got to a place and said "what's the point? That same guy is going to be coming out here in a couple days to chop me down again" Keep growing. Keep growing for you. Stay engaged for the sake of others. You have the gift of coming back stronger again and again. Be sure to hydrate today, eat well, stay cool."

So I may get chopped down... but with this new outlook I feel like I WILL grow again. 

The quote was posted by my new coach, Christopher Neubauer.  He seems really fired up about transorming me.... about changing my life.  I found him through my sister-in-law who attended Chris's kettle-bell certification classes at Primal Fitness in South Bend


Chris is the reason for the kale in the shopping cart.  He took me grocery shopping today.  That's how I found my way to the produce section.  Gone were the 100-calorie packs, the low fat ice cream cups and forzen meals.  Instead I bought an actual chicken breast!  I know... big dea?!?  But for me it kind of is.  I'm still not sure what to do with it exactly... but I'm scheduled to learn that too.  And if I don't try now, I'm afraid those pants will never fit. 



My Primal Shopping Cart:
  • Greek Yogurt
  • Coconut Oil
  • Mixed Raw Nuts (I wanted the roasted ones)
  • Celery
  • A lime and a lemon
  • Natural Peanut Butter
  • Blueberries and Blackberries
  • Chicken Breast (a real one)
  • Some sort of dressing that's not Ranch or Honey Mustard
  • Ground Bison Meat (I'll let you know how that goes)
  • Zucchini
  • Eggs
  • Cheddar Cheese (Yeah I was surprised too)
  • Spinach .. and
  • KALE!

2 comments:

Natasha Chen said...

Kale is awesome. I sautee it. It shrinks like spinach does. I put some balsamic vinegar on it, and voila! Miss you, Tom.

Christopher said...

It would be so much easier to throw you a fish, but I want you to put your own worm on the hook, find the best waters, cast out, wait patiently and get the biggest fish you've ever seen! It may take us a few lines, but you'll remember how to fish the next time, eh? You're going to do great because you want it! Never settle!